Tax Questions

Where do I file taxes for free?


If you are looking to paper file your taxes then there is no charge. You can send in your prepared tax return (Form 1040 with additional schedules and forms) to the IRS free of charge. However, if you are looking to file your taxes electronically (e-file) then there is usually a small charge for e-filing.

file taxes for free

File for Free with H&R Block

File for FREE with TaxCut Online Free Edition. 

Where do I file taxes electronically for free?

You probably have heard of the IRS free e-file service. However, the free e-file service (Free File) is only for taxpayers with gross adjusted income of $54,000 or less. Anyone with AGI of $54,000 can file federal income tax returns for free electronically. See Who can file taxes for free in 2007?

Where do I file taxes for free

If your adjusted gross income (AGI) is more than the limit of that year as advised by the IRS, then you will not be able to use the IRS' Free File service to file your taxes for free. The charge is small, however, if you prepare your own tax return and just want to e-file.


You can also buy a tax preparation software such as Turbo Tax or Tax Cut that include e-file. If you do, then you will be able to file your taxes electronically for free once you have finished using the software to prepare your tax return. See Free e-file with Tax Cut link below.

Free E-file with Tax Cut