Tax Questions
<< Previous    [1]  2    Next >>

What to have when doing taxes?

Below is the list of information and documents you need to have when doing taxes. If you go to a tax preparer such as H&R Block, Jackson Hewitt or Liberty Tax Service, they will ask you to bring the following tax items. If you have not brought them then you cannot do your taxes.

Personal Data
  • social security numbers (for yourself, your spouse and your dependents)
  • birthdays (for yourself, your spouse and your dependents)
  • child care provider: name, address, tax ID number or social security number
  • alimony paid: social security number
Employment and income data
  • W-2 forms for this tax year
  • Unemployment compensation (Form 1099-G)
  • Miscellaneous income including rent (Form 1099-Misc)
  • Partnership, S Corporation & trust income (Schedule K-1)
  • Pensions and annuities (Form 1099-R)
  • Social security and RR1 benefits (Form RRB-1099 or SSA-1099)
  • Alimony received
  • Jury duty pay
  • Gambling and lottery winnings
  • prizes and awards
  • scholarships and fellowships
  • state and local income tax refunds (Form 1099-G)
Homeowner and Renter Data
  • Residential addresses for this year
  • Mortgage interest (Form 1098)
  • Sale of your home or other real estate (Form 1099-S)
  • Second mortgage interest paid
  • Real estate taxes paid
  • Rent paid during tax year
  • moving expenses
Financial assets
  • Auto loans and leases (account numbers and car value) if used for business
  • Student loan interest paid
  • Early withdrawal penalties on CDs and other time deposits
<< Previous    [1]  2    Next >>